After little more than 3 weeks of rest, the Etna volcano has again produced a violent lava fountaining episode, known as paroxysm, from its SE crater this morning, September 21, 2021.
At 4.20 a.m. local time, volcanic tremor suddenly began to rise sharply.
At 8.15 a.m., ash emissions were seen from the New SE crater, and strombolian explosions started at 8.55 a.m., generating an ash plume that quickly rose to 4,500 m altitude.
This activity continued to increase, and around 9.55 a.m. resulted in lava fountaining that generated a tall column reaching approx. 9,000 m height and drifting to the ENE.
Meanwhile, the activity is still going on, but seems to be reaching its end as tremor started to descend again.
As during the previous paroxysms, a lava flow is traveling from the southern rim of the crater towards the SW.
Etna Volcano Volcanic Ash Advisory: ERUPTION AT 20210921/0710Z ASH PLUME VISIBLE ON WEBCAM to 15000 ft (4600 m)
Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Toulouse warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 15000 ft (4600 m) altitude or flight level 150 and is moving at 25 kts in E direction.
The full report is as follows
- FVXX02 at 07:48 UTC, 21/09/21 from LFPW
- VA ADVISORY
- DTG: 20210921/0748Z
- VAAC: TOULOUSE
- VOLCANO: ETNA 211060
- PSN: N3744 E01500
- AREA: ITALY
- SUMMIT ELEV: 3330M
- ADVISORY NR: 2021/271
- INFO SOURCE: VONA, WEBCAM
- AVIATION COLOUR CODE: RED
- ERUPTION DETAILS:ERUPTION AT 20210921/0710Z ASH PLUME VISIBLE ON
- OBS VA DTG: 21/0715Z
- OBS VA CLD: SFC/FL150 N3751 E01500 – N3753 E01600 – N3736 E01600 –
- N3738 E01457 – N3751 E01500 MOV E 25KT
- FCST VA CLD +6 HR: 21/1315Z SFC/FL150 N3803 E01521 – N3748 E01918 –
- N3715 E01833 – N3721 E01651 – N3745 E01451 – N3803 E01521
- FCST VA CLD +12 HR: 21/1915Z NOT PROVIDED
- FCST VA CLD +18 HR: 22/0115Z NOT PROVIDED
- RMK: INCREASING ASH CLOUD MOVES EASTWARD
- NXT ADVISORY: NO LATER THAN 20210921/0840Z